Coastal Bend String Camp
TAMUCC Department of Music
Coastal Bend String Camp 2016
Welcome to the Coastal Bend String Camp 2016 held on the campus of Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi!
The information below pertains to registered campers participating in the String Camp. Please, read carefully. All information is subject to change.
Drop off and pick up times
String Camp drop off: beginning at 8:30 a.m. Pick up: 5-5:20 p.m.
Each teacher will sign in the student during the first hour of instruction, and we will check them out at 5 pm. Parents have to come to the building to pick up their camper. We will not release any student to another student's parent or any other family member without previous knowledge. If your child is not in the camp by 9:15 a.m. we will call you, and if you have not picked up your child by 5:20 we will call you as well.
- Check in: Sunday, June 12
- Time: 8:30 am. Get name tag, pick up schedule
- Go to assigned room. Warm up and auditions until 10:50 a.m.
- 11:00-11:50 Camp Meeting/orientation
Resident Campers (Info subject to change)
- Arrive to Corpus Christi on Sunday, June 12. Campers and their families will be picked up in the airport. If any families are planning to rent a car, please let us know.
- Check in into the dorm
- Check in: Sunday Sunday June 12 at 10:30 am. Get name tag, pick up schedule
Camp meeting IMPORTANT (DATE COMING SOON)
Parents are encouraged to stay for this camp meeting. We will introduce the faculty and staff, and go over the schedule. Also, we will talk about expected behavior during the camp (cell phone use, tablets, bullying, etc.) We want the kids to feel safe and enjoy playing music together. We will go over the rules and regulations while attending a camp on the TAMUCC campus. This will be a good time to ask questions. All the students will stay in the building during the camp and they will be under our supervision the whole time.
All campers (commuters and residents) will be involved in activities everyday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
List of activities:
- Orchestra Rehearsal (three orchestras divided by levels and age)
- Sectionals (rehearsal with your orchestra section. Violins only, violas only, etc.)
- Instrument choir (violin choir, viola choir, cello choir )
- Elective classes: Mariachi and improvisation. This year we were only able to open two classes. High School students will be assigned individual practice times and/or a chamber music group.
- All the campers will participate in all the concerts.
Concert dates: Concerts are part of the camp.
- Faculty Concert TBA
- Student Chamber Music Concert TBA
- Saturday, June 18, 2016 Camp Final Concert 3:00 p.m.
T-shirts: t-shirts are to be worn during the Final Concert on Friday. Camp t-shirt and jeans for the Final Concert! You will receive your t-shirt during the camp week.
Special activities after camp hours(COMING SOON)
Some of the following activities are only for the resident campers, but we have some activities that are schedule for ALL the campers:
What to bring?
Lunch, snacks or money to buy lunch ($9-10 per meal)
If you pre-paid for your lunch, you will get a meal card (Sand Dollar Card) Don't lose your meal card!
standard twin size linens
telephone, ipad, ipod, books or anything that will make your stay more comfortable. Don't forget your charger
Lunch: you will get a Sand Dollar Card for your meals on campus. Don't lose your meal card!
Dr. Jose Gerardo Flores, TAMUCC Violin Professor. Camp Director
Dr. Melissa Melendez, TAMUCC Education Specialist. Camp Director
Dr. Carrie Pierce, TAMUCC, TAMUCC Assistnant Professor
Mrs. Rosa Sierra, Puerto Rico Conservatory String Coordinator
Ms. Patricia Salinas, CCISD Orchestra Director
Dr. Luis Miguel Rojas, Principal cellist. Puerto Rico Symphony
Ms. Jennifer Mulhern, Improvisation artist. Cello
Remember to keep checking your email!
You can contact any of us with questions or concerns.
Dina Ruiz 361-825-3756
All applications must be received by June 1, 2016. Applications must be accompanied by a $50 deposit (or the full amount). Please make checks payable to TAMUCC Music Department. If you would like to pay the $50 deposit or the full amount by credit card, please visit us at cla.tamucc.edu/music to find a link to the TAMUCC Marketplace Mall. Final payment/remaining balances can be made any time prior to the camp start date or at registration the first morning of camp.
Refunds, minus the $50.00 deposit, can be made on or before June 1, 2016.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE MEDICAL WAIVERS -Please submit with application (REQUIRED).